Monday, March 14, 2011

There is No Such Thing as a Personal Decision

I have been wanting to write this post for a long time.  It seems like today is a fitting day to do it.  You see, today marks a year...Last year on March 14th, a Sunday, all six girls and a really brave mom, stood by my dad's bedside as he STRUGGLED, and finally left this earth life.  So instead of bawling all day, which I could easily do, I am going to pass on one of the greatest lessons Joseph Delaney Foster, my dad, ever taught me.....There is no such thing as a personal decision. 
Every decision that we make effects people....lots of people.  Unborn people, old people, young people, people that watch us, related people, people that love us and have a vested interest in us....PEOPLE.   Do you see the alarm this might cause to Satan--the influence we have to effect people in so many good ways?  So he counterattacks, as he always does, with sayings like this:  It is my life, I can do what I want!  I am just expressing my individuality!  Nobody will ever know!  I can repent later!....... Maybe a few came to your mind as well.  These are lies.  Everything we do effects PEOPLE. 
There are BIG decisions that have BIG consequences - Marriage in the temple, being morally clean, staying active in the Church, --These decisions will show their fruits (good or bad) for years and generations to come. 
There are small decisions that also have BIG consequences - the language I use, having weekly family home evening, the movies I watch...These decisions will also show their fruits for generations to come.
So today I would like to thank my dad for being ever-aware of this eternal truth. These are some of the "Personal Decisions" that he made......
*To be baptized and join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
*To marry my mom!
*To read his scriptures - even during Algebra class!
*To make spiritual topics a common discussion in our home. 
*To pray for ME and my concerns during family prayer.
*To WORK hard!  Even when he wasn't feeling good, he WORKED. 
*To teach all of his kids how to work - he disregarded all Child Labor Laws.
*To take me to church (okay, I must accredit this one to my mom...having six girls ready, hair done, teeth brushed, never late.  But my dad did have an awfully good view of the entire thing from the stand.) 
*To always love my mom.
*I NEVER heard him talk crude or inappropriately about sacred things - NEVER! 
*For choosing to be with me and my sisters, when he had plenty of offers to be somewhere else.
*For taking us on a family vacation every year.
*For letting my sisters and I always be a part of the conversation.......
This post is too long already, but I assure you, it will continue on in my head for years and years to come.  I love my dad!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Kathryn....I needed to read this today! I love your insight......and I love you!

    ReplyDelete