Monday, May 2, 2011

If You'll Stop Saying It, You'll Stop Feeling It

Yesterday, I taught a great lesson in Sunday School.  (I don't mean that I TAUGHT a great lesson, I mean the lesson to teach was a great one).  It covered John 9-10.  You see, Jesus heals a man that has been blind since birth.  As the story unfolds, you see the Jew's reaction, the blind man's reaction, and the blind man's parent's reaction. 
The Jew's begin to ask the blind man WHO it was that healed him.  The blind man responds several times, but his responses vary in content and emotion.  He goes from saying, "Some guy healed me (not the exact words) to A Prophet healed me, to THE MAN SENT FROM GOD healed me (this one he said at the risk of being thrown out of the synagogue, but he still said it.)
The Jews go from, this is impossible, to the devil did it, to YOU ARE A SINNER AND HE IS A SINNER AND GET OUT OF THE SYNAGOGUE! 
The parent's of the blind man just "threw him under the bus" (as Natalie would say).  They were afraid of any repercussions at the hands of truth! 
It was funny to see how the things that each person said were planted in their hearts and GREW into a Testimony or a Fit of Rage.
So I was teaching this, and I had a flashback....My dad and I were sitting in the green Le Sabre (never my favorite car) driving somewhere, I am not sure where.  At the time, I was in a on-going conflict with one of my sisters.  (I am sure that is hard to believe for all of you - No comments please).  My dad began to question my motives for being so angry.  I think after hearing the whole scenario, he thought I had a case....HOWEVER, he then gave me some GREAT advice.  Kathryn, I know you are mad, but it isn't doing anything good for you.  "If you will stop SAYING it, you will stop FEELING it."  I really didn't get it at the time, but I think I am starting to get it now.
It is funny how little comments that my mom and dad have made have shaped my life, and come out of the recesses of my mind at just the right time.   

15 comments:

  1. Read, or better yet view "Remember Lots Wife" by Elder Holland for reinforcement of this principle. Amazing how he puts it into application. Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a week behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What in the world does that mean RENN? Oh, I just got it, the Sunday School lesson??? Am I right? Or maybe you are a week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for all of your great posts. They are giving me great things to think about, as well as being uplifting. I came across your blog from someone else's (don't remember who), but I've been following ever since. I wish we were still in your ward, it was one of my favorites. We now live in Independence, if you were wondering who that was :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris,
    Why in the world are you in Independence? I looked at you blog and I can't believe how your family has grown! It looks like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, you are a week behind with your lesson. A good Sunday school teacher would have known this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Renn. I remeber a conversation that we had in the gopher field when I was 19 and you were 17. It went something like this: "Renn, what are you thinking about?" "Scooby Doo!" Sometimes it is hard for me to take you sereiously :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basically, we ran out of job opportunities in Nevada, so after much prayerful consideration we decided to sell pest control (yuck) in Oregon which is when I started my blog. It turned out to be a huge blessing of course and we landed a management position in Kansas City. It has been fun so far, nothing like I expected...
    Your family has grown too. I remember when you just had Ally, now you have a bunch of boys too haha. I'm just learning how fun boys can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris - I think that is Great! Go where there is work, it is worth the peace of mind :) We have lived far away from family for a long time and we hate that part, but it has been a good experience for our family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can't tell you how much that quote has helped me since i read it.

    thank you. thank you. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The funny thing is I still, quite often, find myself contemplating the valuable life lessons brought to the proverbial surface by the witty and poignant writing staff of this American Treasure, namley "Scooby Doo".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Renn,
    I am searching....searching...searching and still having the hardest time coming up with a response to that! Maybe I should watch some Scobby Doo and gain some wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am just wondering why you had to remove Renn's post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Renn Removed it, not me :) I am wondering too!

    ReplyDelete