Friday, March 11, 2011

The Most Important Thing to ME.....

This morning I woke up to Mosiah Chapter 1.  YEAH!  I probably shouldn't have a favorite book in the Book of Mormon, but let's suppose that I did, it would be Mosiah.  It is the book that I always turn to when I find myself without my own set of scriptures, but needing to read anyway.  As I read the first 9 verses of chapter one, a whole train of thoughts came to my mind.  So here they go, one freight car at a time.....
A few weeks ago in Relief Society, the lesson was on the importance of the scriptures.  The teacher presented a very carefully worded question that has since returned to my mind several times.  "Why do you think the writers of the Book of Mormon felt such urgency to preserve their record?"  After careful consideration, my answer is this - THE CHAIN CANNOT BE BROKEN.  What we see as a people displaced and distant from us, was quite personal to them.  They were talking to their kids, their kid's, kids, and their kid's........
In the final days of my dad's life, I heard him say those exact words.  "THE CHAIN CANNOT BE BROKEN!"  Then he proceeded to tell us that missions must be served, temple marriages must occur, worthiness must be our goal.....We knew what dad expected of us, and we desired the same thing, but how are we to ensure that our kids will desire it also? 
I once read a quote by Elder Quinten L. Cook that has impacted my life to a great degree.  He said, "Walking by my children’s doors and seeing them studying the scriptures or on their knees praying was the single most important thing to me as a father.”
So I will briefly connect the dots, but draw your own conclusions as well.  I believe that the prophets of old wanted to preserve their record for the same purpose as we do, so that their personal chain would not be broken.  That by reading them, desires would stay pure, and obedience would always be the goal
My goal, at a very early age of life, is to instill a habit of daily prayer and scripture study into my children, and if I do little else, I will know that they are in GOOD HANDS, that is the most important thing to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment