Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reality TV---REALLY?

This is a picture of Joseph....Do you see the look on his face?  That has been his general attitude towards life for about a week now.  I think the tonsillectomies have effected him more than Gary or Jared.  I think the look on his face and the potentail of the blanket in his hand becoming a weapon were his response when Jared said, "Smile Joseph!" 
Let  me tell you about another response....."Joseph please don't go outside, you are all dressed for church and you will get your church clothes dirty? ..... "No Mama!" .....  As I guard the front door for a few seconds and think that his urge to disobey has passed, I enter my room just in time to see him pushing out the screen in my window and crawling through it.  By the time I catch up with him, he is almost at Whitings....and I am out of breath. 
We finally get to church, with clean church clothes I might add.  Sacrament meeting was very enjoyable, the high councilman gave a fabulous talk, referring a lot to the Proclamation on the Family.  He talks about the things that will keep families together, " faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities" and in that order.  I think to myself, "it is hard to get all these kids to church each Sunday and struggle through church...but we are doing the right thing."  Perhaps, I just was not aware of how OBVIOUS our struggle was to our very kind ward members. 
I leave Sacrament meeting to go and teach my 16 and 17 year old Sunday School class (the best calling in the church, I might add).  They are always full of comments and updates as class begins, but this one came out of nowhere for me.  "So Sister Bolton, I have been thinking a lot....I think they should make a Reality TV Show out of your family, and I WOULD DEFINITELY WATCH IT."  There are a few comments that make you step back and look at your life from a slightly different view point, I think this was one of them.  And by the way, my Sunday School class could be a reality show most Sundays :)
So I will continue the struggle in church and outside of church, not because I want to provide true entertainment for the masses, but because it is my only and last great hope.  I will leave you with a favorite quote by John Adams.  Draw your own conclusions.
"What has preserved this race of Adamses in all their ramifications in such numbers, health, peace, comfort, and mediocrity?  I believe it is religion, without which they would have been rakes, fops, sots, gamblers, starved with hunger, or frozen with cold, scalped by Indians, etc. etc. etc.  melted away and disappeared."
Didn't that quote just describe the plot of LOTS of reality tv shows (minus the whole scalping thing).... I'm just sayin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment