Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Just a Piece of a Puzzle:)

I inherited this piano from my mother's basement, who inherited it from her mother, who purchased it for her oldest daughter, Barbara, who was somewhat of a musical prodigy.  Barbara was my oldest Aunt, I never met her, she died shortly after giving birth to her first son Eddie.  And yet here I sit in Payson, UT with her piano.
I learned to play on it (we use the word "play" lightly).  It is so heavy, it should have been buried in my mother's basement and died there with the Yellowstone Super Volcano, if it were not for my brave husband, brother-in-laws, and Christensen boys.  The trek from out of the basement to Nevada to Utah, has nearly killed a  lot of people, and demolished the side of my dad's Pick-up.  But it will follow us wherever we may go.
It sat in our Overton home for many years in slight disrepair.  Several of the keys  needed a new ivory shell and the tuning, hammers, strings.....need  I go on.   I kept saying I was going to get to it, but the time and the money never allowed the getting part to come.  However, Donna came to visit one time, and offered to tend the baby while I ran into a Dr's appointment.  I came home to find all the keys stripped and ready to be redone (not that I was ready, but it was now ready).  5 months and several  payments later, I sat down in my living room to gaze at the masterpiece, at which point, a soft, sweet thought floated through my mind, "I love your mother, She is a very special lady."  And for some reason, I knew those words came from my Aunt Barbara.
Ever since that thought, this piano has meant so much more to me....I am not sure I can explain that part of it.
Yesterday I had another, shall we call it a "Barbara Experience?"  Moving to Utah has put us closer to so many relatives.  The closest of which is my Uncle Keith in Spanish Fork.  He is an artist, in the truest sense. His home is filled with masterpieces and he is the master.  And if you can imagine, his kindness is even superior to his artistry.  Upon visiting my home he said softly, "Now when you get settled, come over and pick out a painting you would like."  I waited, less than patiently, and yesterday, I made the visit.
This painting is my treasure.
A couple of weeks ago, I was a bystander to a depressing conversation.  The jest of which was, "Do you ever wonder what this life is all about?  I mean, you work hard, you die, and then what?  No one remembers, no one cares, is it really worth everything we think it is?"  I sat formulating a response, but never dared intrude to give it.  So, to you cyber world, I will respond.
"UNLESS YOU ARE INVOLVED IN A CAUSE, GREATER THAN JUST YOU, IT MEANS VERY LITTLE."
Thus, I receive so much satisfaction from serving in my church, building the Kingdom of God, building something that will last forever! Can you imagine!
And talk about SATISFACTION!  How about a family, that lasts, and lasts.....I am just a small piece of it, but as big as the eternities, because  the chain was meant to last forever.  I grip tightly to the piano, to the painting, to my kids, my nieces and nephews....because every piece of this familial puzzle that lands in my hands, is what makes life meaningful!



No comments:

Post a Comment