Friday, August 30, 2013

For the History Books!

I have a favorite picture from the summer, and I would like to introduce you to it. But before I do, let me add my disclaimer… The night this picture was taken, after all the festivities were over, I went into my mom's bedroom and told her, "This was the best night, I just wish Jared had been here…". To which she replied, "I just wish Joe had been here!"

For the first time in years the Christensen's and Foster's gathered for a family barbecue. This is the documentation. Do you love it? You can barely even see me! Isn't it great?! This may be one of, if not the only, post- junior high picture where I am not towering over everyone else… Purely a side note...Now let me introduce you to the rest of my family… The Christensen's! 

 You are just going to have to trust me on this one, when I say that these people have earned the name of family. The ways they have influenced us, goes way beyond blood! 

 It has been quite a while since most of us have been gathered (minus dad's funeral, to which all of them made great sacrifices to come to). But this was a much happier time. We did what we always do, talked and ate, eating with secondary. External entertainment is never necessary at one of these get-togethers. 

 Let me give you the quick background scoop. It all started when my dad and Bob attended Ricks College together. Both nonmembers, there on athletic scholarships. One day meeting in a field of grass, where the sprinklers were on, only to bring their car washing supplies and wash their cars together. Several years later, both had joined the church and a lifelong friendship was on its way. It has become a culture all of it's own it may have started there, but now the families are totally intertwined.  

 For years, Bob was the wrestling coach at Ricks College. This summer several of us went to his retirement party, where wrestlers from miles around came to thank him for all of his service. For hours, wrestler after wrestler got up to tell the way Bob had impacted their lives. Little of it had to do with wrestling. That is just the kind of person he is. 

 After hour one, I was feeling pretty jipped. I wanted to get up too. But surprisingly, I recognized it was not the time or place:). Some pretty cool things were said, but I think there was one thing that summarized his entire life. His wrestling philosophy was that YOU CAN NEVER BE BETTER THAN THE BASICS! He had the basics down on and off the mat!


But… His greatest tribute… Has to be the way his children have turned out! We love the Christensen's! And hopefully… It won't be another 15 years before the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment