Friday, August 31, 2012

It is FRIDAY!

Dear Emi,

It is exactly 1:30 on a Friday afternoon.  And with a great sigh of relief I am here to report that the first week of school has been survived - ISH. (One night I was taking Holly Rust home from babysitting my children.  I turned to her and asked if she got the kids in bed alright.  She said, "um....ish."  Meaning, "it wasn't alright, but it happened."  Which pretty much describes 98.5% of my life :)

I remember Friday school nights when I was growing up.  Mom and dad usually headed to the temple, which left my sisters and I at home, to entertain ourselves with old 80's music, the tv, and things really got interesting when our neighbor's nephew, Tad, was around.  (We were all the definition of HOMEBODY.  Not because it was the cool thing to do...just because we had a lot more fun with each other than anyone else.)  Eventually, the parents would wind into the driveway bearing bags and bags of groceries from Broulims.  (Yes spellchecker, Broulims is a real word).  We would all unload the groceries and find ourselves feasting on bananas and Brach's candy....whatever happened to real Brach's candy!

When I was in college it was a little tougher to be a homebody, but more often than not, I would find myself leaving Logan, and driving to my sister's in Smithfield.  At which point Brynne and I would settle down for a nice night of CORY and TOPANGA :)  (Boy meets World, which rivals Saved by the Bell for the most ridiculous sitcom ever created.)

A few years ago I was visiting Logandale 5th ward (?) and Bishop Barlow was talking about having good family traditions.  He had his young daughter (who just graduated from high school last year) get up and tell the congregation about "Friday Fun Night."  She said that every Friday when her dad got home from work the family would pick a fun activity to do TOGETHER.

I went home and told Jared that Friday Fun Night was being instituted immediately.  And so it has, for the last 5 years, been our stolen tradition.  It usually includes some yummy food (pizza, crepes, or anything you can eat with chopsticks!) and a yummy treat (orange chicken and somoa bars are on the menu tonight :0  Then we watch a movie, and let our kids fall asleep on the couch.  :)  It doesn't sound like much....but when Joe (the 3 year old) runs into your room at 6:30 a.m. and announces (waking up the rest of the house)  MoM!  It's Friday Fun Night....you know it is more than just ish!

Emi - Be happy!  You can make it through another day!  Friday is on its way :)

Love, Your Grandma, who can't wait for your Grandpa, and the bus to get home!

P.S.   This week we celebrated your Great Grandpa Bolton's 72nd Birthday.  We ate spaghetti for dinner :0 Every time we visited Bluebell, I would wake up to your Great Grandpa sitting at the head of the table enjoying a Large bowl of Spaghetti (at 6 in the a.m.)  Happy Birthday Grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment