Thursday, August 18, 2011

From SPARE TIRE to STEERING WHEEL

In June, Jared and I had a "Couple's Conference" to go to in Las Vegas for 3 days.  So my mom, sister Kristine, and two nieces (Heather and Erin) came to tend the kids so that we could leave and not WORRY for a single minute the entire 3 days.  They are so good to us!  The night that they arrived, we ate and played with the kids.  As I tried to finally get them into bed that night, Joe escaped and was running towards the neighbor's house.  Erin and I went after him.  As we were walking Erin said to me, "Is this your life Aunt Kathy."  YES :)  "Well........I guess Heavenly Father thinks you can handle it."  I wasn't sure if that was meant as a compliment or not, but I laughed for days!

While at the Conference, we listened to a short talk given about the Atonement.  The Sister giving the talk said that she used to use the Atonement as a SPARE TIRE....Taking it out when it was needed, using it until she was "fixed" and then putting it back under the car for the next time.  She decided that this was not the intent of the Atonement...Then she asked us, "What part of the car should represent the Atonement?"  After several guesses, the STEERING WHEEL appeared to be the right answer.  It is the only part that you HAVE to have some part of your body touching during your drive, guiding you to where ever you are going.  I thought about that for quite some time......Perhaps the intent of the Savior was not only to "fix" our problems, but to LEAVE US BETTER, in the process, guide (or steer) us to a BETTER me.  If that is how you would like to think of it. 

The entire scenario came together for me when we got home from our mini vacation.  Mom and Kristine had to leave the minute that we got home in order to take care of things at home.  As we walked through the door they said their quick goodbyes, and as they got into the car Kristine said, "Your house is thorough cleaned, dinner is in the fridge and there is warm zucchini bread on the counter."  They didn't just come to take care of things, they came AND LEFT THINGS BETTER.  Why?  Because they love me of course, they love Jared and my kids.  Why does the Savior want to leave us better, help us be better?  Because He loves me of course, He loves Jared, my kids, and you :)  Often, (or all the time)  He wants more for us, then we want for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment