Thursday, May 26, 2011

Good Advice for my Kids

This morning while I was getting ready for the day I asked myself this question (I do this sometimes...I have great conversations with myself while I do my hair, oh, and when I bake, that is also prime pondering time):  What is the best advice that you have ever been given? 
Now, while I am not sure that this is the BEST advice, or that it applies to this audience, I will share it anyway.  It will apply to my kids and I want it preserved for their future. 
It may be a little known fact that I was once a teacher (in a formal setting).  I taught for 4 years before I married Jared, and then 1 year before I had Ally.  The first 4 years I taught at the COOLEST little Elementary school in Bear River, UT, called Century Elementary.  My name was "Miss Foster!" and I loved it there!  The community was great, the principal gave me all kinds of great opportunities, and the staff was the BEST.  Looking back at it now, it was a priceless experience for me.  I taught 4th grade and the other 4th grade teacher was Mrs. Joy Haws. 
As it all came to an end, I started packing up my classroom because we were headed to Rexburg, ID to finish Jared's schooling.  Mrs. Haws came in and I could tell that she had something she wanted to say.  It started with small talk and then she came to the "Best Advice" part. 
"Kathryn, do you always plan on teaching?"  No, I want to have kids soon, and I want to stay at home when that happens.  "Well, then let me give you this advice.  Once you are at that point, DON'T EVER START TEACHING.  Once you are making 2 salaries, you will never be able to make it on 1.  If you start by making it work with 1 salary, you will always be able to make it on 1." 
It is funny how Jared's check seems to be JUST ENOUGH to get us through.  I bet it would be even funnier that if I were working, both of our checks would be JUST ENOUGH to get us through. 
These are my thoughts for the day!  I love being able to stay at home!  I love my FULL TIME job!

No comments:

Post a Comment