Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tonsillectomy Breath!

I heard once that the sense of smell brings back more memories than any other sense.  Dont' Google it, I don't want to know if it is true, it is true to me. 
Anytime I smell gasoline fumes, I envision myself sitting on a red sled behind a snowmobile.  All the while yelling, "Don't Jerk!  Don't Jerk!" (As in don't jerk the rope)  and Erin pretending she can't hear me, throwing me from the sled just seconds after the ride begins.  During those winter months, we inhaled TANKS of gasoline fumes.  We will all die of cancer, mark my word. 
Mosquito Spray -- 6 a.m., crisp chill in the air, 7 teenagers stumble from a big blue pick-up truck, and slather on the mosquito spray for another day of gopher killing!  Yes, for 13 years of my life, I was a professional gopher killer.  That in itself deserves 10 more posts. 
I tried to decide what smell would remind me the most of my dad.  A few came to mind...Popcorn, fresh fish (well, really only brook trout from Teton Creek).  Fresh cut grass.  The smell that comes right before the lightning strikes and the rain pours.  When most people closed their windows, we opened ours to "smell the rain."
My Aunt Karla's house has a specific smell.  My mom says that it is Juniper bushes, I think it is mostly Rice Krispie treats, really good Rice Krispie Treats!
I think that I have finally found the smell that I want to remind me of Overton, NV.  There are a few I don't want to remember - Friday Mornings in the Summer, Garbage day in our neighborhood..."Cooked" garbage is a smell I never care to remember.  And when it rains in the desert when it is 120 degrees outside, it smells a bit like a Senior Boys gym locker. However, each spring, all 10 days of it, the lemon trees start to bloom here!  When you smell them, you can almost taste sugar.
There are a couple of smells that will always remind me of the year 2011 - tonsillectomy breath and Amoxicillian.  Tomorrow Jared will have a tonsillectomy and Gary will also have a tonsillectomy and tubes put in his ears.  That will be 5 surgeries to date for this year (remember it is April) 3 tonsillectomies and 2 tubes.  Oh the Joy!  Oh the Smell!  Have you ever smelled Tonsillectomy breath - WOW!  I'm just saying......

2 comments:

  1. Real funny....I always heard you...just never cared!!!!!!!! And I agree, We all wil die of cancer from it, as well as my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gopher days, how could we ever forget them. I know about the mosquito spray, I can not only remember smelling it, but also tasting it on my lips.

    ReplyDelete