Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We have been Cursed!

So I have a funny story to tell you.  Last summer we went to Jared's home ward in Bluebell, Utah.  After Sacrament meeting I sent my kids to primary PRAYING that they would behave, just once.  After the meetings were complete I started to gather kids.  At this point I see Sam walking down the hall, a woman walking close by, LAUGHING.  As Sam approaches I realize that he is holding his socks, shoes, sweater, and tie...left only wearing a shirt and pants.  That was NOT the funny part.  His teacher proceeds to tell me why she is laughing.  It seems that many years ago when Jared was a teenager, he sat behind her irreverent children in Sacrament Meeting.  At the end he very FOOLISHLY made this comment, "my kids won't do that, they will sit still."  HENCE, WE WERE CURSED FROM THE BEGINNING!  And believe me when I say cursed.  Each of my children have been "kicked out" of Primary (and more than once),  each of my kids DESERVED to be "kicked out" of Primary (and more than once.)
It started with Ally.  Jared and I TRIED really hard to help her be reverent.  It was a constant concern to me. After a particularly hard Sunday I had a knock on my door.  A sister in the ward brought me 3 Parenting Books.  I took them, smiling, and waited just until the door was shut to begin sobbing.  I continued sobbing as I told Jared and called my mother....Her intentions were pure, but I was hurt.  At that point I made this decision - I will always assume that every parent is trying their VERY HARDEST before I make any judgement calls.  I wish I could say that I have always chosen that path.   I have not, but I have renewed my decision.  I will assume the best.
 I have also resolved myself to think very little about what people think of me, and very MUCH about what the Lord thinks.

A few years ago I read this poem....it has stuck with me ever since.  I hope that you enjoy it.

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch!!! I would have cried too if someone had brought me over some parenting books. :-( I love your kids!!! They are all very smart, cute, and energetic :-). I have heard nothing but praise, admiration, and envy of your parenting skills. You are doing a great job with your children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had somebody give me a parenting book when Enoch was little too, and having a really hard time in church. You're better then me though, because I didn't cry...I just got angry....haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW I have one of Gary's vests...LOL LOL!But seriously, I do...

    ReplyDelete