Saturday, October 13, 2012

Who Will Protect the Children?

Dear Emi,

The last couple of nights have found me restless, thinking with intermittent sleep and dreams.  Sometimes I feel like the world's problems are on my front doorstep and I am left to solve them before my children exit the house.  I have heard the same story, twice now, from two different apostles, and it won't leave my thoughts.  I will give you the shorter version, coming from Elder Oaks:

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland recently shared the experience of an LDS police officer. In an investigation he found five young children huddled together and trying to sleep without bedding on a filthy floor in a dwelling where their mother and others were drinking and partying. The apartment had no food to relieve their hunger. After tucking the children into a makeshift bed, the officer knelt and prayed for their protection. As he walked toward the door, one of them, about six, pursued him, grabbed him by the hand, and pleaded, “Will you please adopt me?”8



Every time that story replays through my mind I see GARY, who is now 6 years old, grabbing my pant legs, with his freckles streaked by tears....."will you adopt me?"  Then everything falls apart.....And I am up all night again.

Two nights ago there was a vp debate and one of the final questions concerned abortion.  One of the candidates said that he believed that it was not a good practice, but he couldn't force his belief on someone else......women had to have a choice...  My mind will not leave this either.

Emi, women have a choice.  The moment they begin to have a sexual relation with someone, THIS IS WHEN THEIR CHOICE IS MADE.  Then each choice after that must be made in behalf of the child.   I keep wondering when we will wake up and realize that there are consequences to every action we take.  As much as any politician or otherwise would have you think,  YOU CANNOT LIVE ANY WAY YOU WOULD LIKE, AND NOT EXPERIENCE THE CONSEQUENCES.  

Emi, be good to the children.  They need us. We are their protection.

Love, a sad Grandma


No comments:

Post a Comment